Thursday 31 July 2014

Whoops... I did it again!


Hello everyone! Just a quick update to keep everyone posted. This morning I had another fever so was admitted to the hospital again. Febrile Neutropenia  (low white blood cell count and a fever). It was pretty funny as I was only here a few weeks ago so the nurses at City recognized me and the oncologist here at RUH also recognized me so we were able to joke around right from the get go. I was actually sort of sad I had to leave city because the nurses there are so good and so friendly I didnt want to be transferred, but I had to. They took such good care of me that I had already broke the fever by the time I left and my white blood cell count is a lot higher than the last time I was admitted, so they don’t think I will be here for very long. So hopefully it is only another few days!


Some of you may be curious why exactly I am in the hospital. Basically I am in the hospital because I have no immune system and some how I picked up some sort of infection. As there is no immune system to fight the infection the bodies only response is to get a fever. So, even though I do not have a fever any more I still do not have an adequate immune system to fight the infection. So I stay in isolation to prevent further/future infection and they treat me with antibiotics to fight the current infection and to let my immune system build up before re-introducing me into the wild.

This time I was more prepared and had a hospital bag packed with all the essentials I will need instead of sending Steve on a million trips and i have plans in place to make sure everything runs smoothly. 
I will keep everyone updated as any relevant or exciting news progresses!


Cheers!

Left Foot'n & Right Foot'n,

Steve & Alyssa

1 comment:

  1. Hope you are able to be released soon. Looking forward to seeing you while Donna Lee is here. Thinking of you always. George Coulling

    ReplyDelete