Wednesday 2 April 2014

En Route to Mayo (no medical update included)

Hello again everyone!

We are en route to Rochester as I type. We being myself and the two stalwart travellers, my dad and my husband.  We have been travelling since yesterday. Originally we had planned to drive down today but after looking at the weather reports we thought we should strike off a bit early as some snow storms might bog us down. We were correct, last night we had pretty good weather and road conditions but we had been tailing a storm. The storm had shut down many highways etc and we got as far as Bismark before our route was blocked. Bismark received 8.1 inches of snow other areas of the storm were hit with upwards of 17 inches!  By the time we woke up the crews had been out and cleared all of the highways and we ventured forth again.

filling up with gas on our way out of town. I even drove for a bit! 
I should note that the border crossing into the states was pretty smooth (albeit I was sleeping through most of it) and that the highway patrol is much friendlier than the ones I’ve met in Canada. We were pulled over late last night (or early this morning if you want to be specific). When Steve explained that we did not have a speedometer in miles/hr and we were pretty much just guessing our speed. In fairness we were on a divided highway going through a 45 mph zone at 55 mph.The patrol man actually did some research and gave us all of the conversions! We got a little bit of education on the conversion of km/hr to m/hr and the upcoming road conditions and were sent on our way. He was friendly, professional and understanding! 

Dad under the glow of the police lights
Now, many people were quite surprised that we chose to drive. However, I feel that anybody who has tried to travel to and from between MSP and YXE airports knows that it is inconsistent at best. With the sketchy weather conditions one cannot guarantee arrival dates, let alone times. In fact, our  last attempt to fly to MSP landed us there almost 30 hours late and let’s be honest I don’t think you can just show up a day late for either chemo or an appointment at the mayo clinic and blame the airline. The other problem with flying is that you cannot use air miles for a delta flight and delta is the only direct flight to MSP from YXE. It takes 16 hours to drive and to fly with air miles would be 9-18 hours of traveling.  Then of course there is the small detail of having to rent a car on arrival to drive (or of course get on yet another plane) to get from Minneapolis to Rochester. In short we trust a car to get us there more than we trust the airlines.

Super 8 was booked, so we stayed at La Quinta, quite a nice hotel!
Another thing you are all likely wondering is why just bring my dad along but not my mom. Now this my friends was a where the chess game began. The appointment at mayo clinic is Wednesday AM, we do not know how long we will be down there but they said to expect 5-8 days to be safe. Well, I have Wednesday, Thursday..... and by Friday at 11 I have to be back in Saskatoon. We are travelling amidst unpredictable weather and predicted snow storms. So this has all been a matter of leaving every possible options open. We have plans A-Z to get me back in time. However, to accomplish this we need people on both ends. In the event that we spend the entire day at Mayo on Thursday, Dad is here to help Steve drive through the night to get us back to Saskatoon. In the event that the highways are closed we will throw me on some sort of aircraft and courier me to Saskatoon. To do this we need a) someone to pick me up and take me to chemo and b) help organize options as we are a bit crippled without the full usage of our smart phones down here.  Therefore much like in history we have left the queen at home to hold the fort!

However she did not leave me empty handed! Knowing my affection for symbolism and tokens she bestowed upon me my very first Pandora bracelet and charm. It is a star fish from USVI. This is a many layered symbol for me. It symbolizes a lucky star, it symbolizes a wishing star but more importantly it embodies a part of my love of the island life as I love spotting starfish on the ocean floor. This affinity to startfish “watching” is not specific to the bvi’s,  I did this in my time sailing on the BC coast as well as in cuba. I just seem to have a thing for starfish J In addition one of my best starfish photo’s from my trip was taken while I was swimming with the rays and turtles. There is a bit of a story behind the picture but basically it was taken shortly after I came face to face with an extremely large (~5-6 ft) barracuda. So it is also a symbol of keeping presence of mind when you feel fear. Knowing this mom got me a starfish for my first leg of this journey.


 Like any great war, it is all about where you lay your pieces. You can’t put all your assets in one place. But you also don’t want to spread them too thin.  So with the home fort well guarded and preparing for our return, we decided that two determined and skilled travelers are better than one when it comes to transferring “the cargo” safely from one base to the next.
Now I have to admit the cargo has a pretty good gig. Driving is completely optional and my primary objective is to not let travelling make my current cold any worse and drink lot’s of water.  This is in line with my preferred pass times while travelling which include sleeping and reading.   Originally we had planned to drive the mazda to the border and rent an SUV. However, my charming brother has offered use of one of his vehicles. Unfortunately neither of his race cars were suitable for the job.  But we did find a quite suitable automobile in the station wagon. This thing is a tiny tank with some pretty nifty features! Not only is it a 4 wheel drive but you can raise and lower the clearance of the vehicle so that we can “off road” through the snow. Now these features are great for getting us there, but my favourite feature is that all the seats in the vehicle have seaters! Seaters, or as normal people call them heated seats, are probably my favourite advancement in technology, so much so I still use them in the summer. So I sign off comfortably nested in a sea of down jackets, heated seats cranked and 3 of my favourite travelling blankets. There is no way even first class flying is this comfortable!



 I will try to update everyone tomorrow how day 1 of Mayo goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment